Friday, April 27, 2012

Gratitude

When I first started thinking about this postcard project, I intended it to be a way to connect with old friends whom I haven't been in touch with for a while. People I have met in different phases of my life and on different continents. My old address book was going to be my reference guide and I planned to go through each and every entry in this book. Low and behold, I soon noticed that a number of addresses where outdated and the people have long moved on from student housing to more permanent homes. I had to realize that I had lost track of old friends. It was at that point that the purpose of my 365 postcards shifted. It became a project of gratitude. I began looking at my every day life and the people I am touched by and found myself searching for future recipients of postcards. Soon there was the bus driver of my children's school bus, who earned a thank you note for driving them safely to and from school every day. Then there was the family in need for whom we cooked a dinner and the meal had to be accompanied by a card. And then there was the music teacher who spent hours with my kids investing in their musical education. Of course doctors, who are always willing to give the greatest medical care and advice.  And last but not least friends, who haven't been told enough times how much they are appreciated. I love thinking about my project in that way - as another way to count my blessings.
109/365, delivered within Seattle

110/365, delivered to Bothell, WA

111/365, sent to Giessen, Germany

112/365, sent to Seattle, WA

113/365, sent to Seattle, WA

No comments: