Wednesday, September 12, 2012

creating an urban island retreat

All summer I have been longing to visit the San Juan Islands, in particular Lopez. I just love the simplicity of island living, of less options, fewer people, greater quiet and more nature. It did not pan out for our family this summer. Instead I have been wondering what attributes of island living I can import into my life in the city. Simplicity translates into an active choice to do less running around. Less options can mean saying No to some of the options that are available to us. Fewer people can be fulfilled by focusing on the friendships that are truly meaningful to us. A greater quiet can be created by actively choosing to turn down the volume and the background noise of our lives. By seeking out city parks I can bring nature into my life and by gardening I can foster an urban oasis without having to leave my home.

237/365, sent to Venice, CA

238/365, sent to Seattle, WA

239/365, sent to Los Angeles, CA


240/365, sent to Beaconsfield, Quebec, Canada

241/365, sent to Seattle, WA

242/365, sent to Seattle, WA

No comments: