Sunday, June 10, 2012

leaves and spheres

A few years ago, I was intrigued by the idea of writing a daily blog.  The title was going to be "Diary of a Worrywart." I had planned to write about all my creative ways to worry. (And trust me, I am very skilled in the art of worrying.)  Luckily, my enthusiasm quickly waned and the project lasted exactly three entries. Finding myself now on day 148 of my daily postcard project, I notice that I have gained something that I have always longed for, but never knew how to achieve:  I am much happier and more content. How can this be? After reading and being influenced by Daniel Siegel's Mindsight, The Mindful Brain and The Neurobiology of We, I do understand that by putting energy into the positive in life, the brain can actually establish new firing patterns, out-dating old and inefficient habits and traits.  And so, by cultivating the daily practice of thinking of people in a positive way, I find myself constantly concerned with thoughts of gratitude, love and appreciation. Each new postcard designed and written to an important person in my life, fills me with a sense of connectedness and crowds out thoughts of despair and loneliness. 


144/365, sent to Yonkers, NY

145/365, sent to Jerusalem, Israel

146/365, sent to ???

147/365, sent to Montreal, Canada

148/365, sent to Seattle, WA

No comments: