Friday, October 5, 2012

Jewish papercuts

I have always been amazed by the art of papercuts - its delicacy and precision.  The medium of papercuts has been particularly widespread in the realm of Eastern European Judaica.  While it can be challenging to maneuver the blade over the paper, it is also satisfying to work with an entirely different tool - not just pens and pencils.

For the first time since the beginning of my project, I have been playing catch up with my postcards.  A family visit, the observance of Jewish holidays and just the business of life have kept me away from my daily practice of preparing a card a day.  I have had to produce a few cards in bulk and I notice how I don't like the feel of it.  It is at these moments that I realize most how I personally benefit from the discipline of daily creative expression.  I hope to get back into my rhythm soon.

 
264/365, sent to Bellevue, WA

265/365, walked to Seattle, WA

266/365, sent to Bellevue, WA

267/365, sent to Seattle, WA

268/365, sent to Chestnut Ridge, NJ

No comments: