Wednesday, October 31, 2012

unlikely friends: thread and watercolor

I love to sew and haven't had much time since the beginning of the year - my creativity spent on a daily postcard. Only this week have I had extra time on hand which I spent creating these gift items from recycled and felted wool:  Framed pictures of cute mice, sweet finger puppets and a pillow for the toothfairy.  I find the process of hand stitching utterly calming and satisfying.  These creatures were inspired by a gifted crafter up in Port Townsend, Kata Golda, who makes everything from wool and wrote beautiful DIY books about her craft.  If you want to look up Kata Golda, here is her website http://www.katagolda.com/

These postcards below have been created by thread, a sewing machine and water color. I first sewed the line across the paper - leaving an interesting pattern also on the back of the card. Then I embellished the emptiness of the white card with watercolor.  I love the multi-media feel of these cards.


288/365, sent to Burlington, VT

289/365, sent to Giessen, Germany

290/365, sent to Washington, DC

291/365, sent to New Rochelle, NY

292/365, sent to Berlin, Germany

No comments: